Tuesday 20 November 2012

Allygator- biting at the world

One of those awkward moments for a lot of my friends doing Summer jobs in food stores right now is whether to accept lunch and pretzels and banana breads when our boss offers them to us and whether we're expected to pay especially when it's not at the end of the day. Is it ok to just eat it and say thanks? Or does it reflect badly on us and our work ethic?
 
I did a sort of trial/training session in a sandwich shop today and at the end of the hour the boss offered me a sandwich. They're pretty expensive these gourmet things and with some carrots and lettuce added they can cost over ten bucks. So I hesitated until he asked again if there was a sandwich I wanted to try. I thought for a moment and then obliged and picked the most boring chicken one on the menu. For me, I guess, I wasn't getting paid and I was starving, so considering that I'd been standing there all morning, I didn't think too much about accepting it. After all it's hardly a loss to them when you take into account that the other juniors handle more than ten times their minimum wage pay in one lunch session. Just think about the number of people in a shopping centre foodcourt at lunch! I mean, one sandwich is the equivalent to one hour's pay and there are far, far more sandwiches then employees.

Although I'm still wondering.

Was it the right thing to do? I mean, I haven't exactly got the job; I'm in the 'we'll call you if there's a shift'- so you haven't really got the job- stage and on asking some of the other girls who work there if they ever get offered lunch and whether they take it, they all reply that they turn down the offers. The girl who wrapped my sandwich wasn't even sure if she was supposed to charge me. Thankfully she didn't have to and my morning was somewhat worth it.

My friends though have had different experiences. One of them pays for her toasties every lunch but takes home unsold breads and cakes. Another refuses muffins so often her employer thinks she's on a diet and one of my other friends works in a Chinese Restaurant and gets a free plate of late lunch every time she works. Off the lunch specials menu of course.   

So I don't really know anymore. Eat it, don't eat it, do a bit of both, what are we supposed to do? And when does the line between politeness and well, eating start to blur?

On a side note YAY for Samantha winning X Factor! Although admittedly not my favourite contestant going into the final twelve, she deserves it! Especially since she's been in the bottom almost every second week. That's pretty inspiring stuff. Funny though how The Collective came third mirroring 1D. Quite scary. Although I do love the show, announcing the final decision took way too long. I went to the toilet and came back and they still hadn't announced it!

No comments:

Post a Comment