Wednesday 14 November 2012

Goodbye HSC and Hello World!

So what did I do after the HSC?
 
I went wild at Toys R Us and then did some serious shopping! Oh, then I started a blog : ) 
 
On the first few days I pretty much bought out everything I vaguely liked and was preferably on sale, scarves, glitter polish, coral shorts, shirts, singlets, notepads- it was like I was let loose and free; the overwhelming relief of finishing school exams and the excitement of indulging myself in a probably non deserved bout of retail therapy. By the end of the day sales assistants were just staring at the bags dangling off our arms and asking us why we were buying piles of woollen scarves, gloves and beanies in the middle of summer. 'Going overseas' was my friend's answer. Truth is we were bored, needed to splurge and they were cheap.  

Crazy Crazy.. and heaps of fun! We went around different shopping centres in Sydney, ate at junk food places everyday, ran up and down aisles wearing Dora the Explorer and Darth Vader masks (thanksfully this was near Halloween so people may have thought we were somewhat sane). All we could think about was shopping, shopping, eating and well going crazy. And of course impulsive buying of on sale plastic rings and hats and quirky, obscure things like that.
 
And it makes it so much easier to understand how being unemployed and free of school can be so unbelievably fun.
 
So it took me about two weeks after my last exam to realise that we couldn't shop forever and eat out everyday. Yes we deserved a holiday but we were exhausted from shopping, our feet hurt and shopping centres are so ridiculously similar it was becoming monotonous. Besides, we had finally been responsible enough to budget our expenses, and soon realised we were running pretty dry.
 
So today I went for my first Christmas job interview and geez the questions have gotten tough!... Describe situations where you felt uncomfortable or where you felt like you showed integrity...questions that really make you start from a pretty blank place, and as confident and prepared as I felt before I walked in, it was pretty intimidating being asked things that you never really think about and don't exactly talk about in daily convsersation.
 
Anyway Christmas job hunting is by far more exhausting than formal dress hunting and that was quite a job in itself! It's hard enough to find a vacancy especially at this time of the year, let alone be picked for an interview with limited retail experience and even then get picked from the interview.
So good luck to anyone else trying and Hello World! I'm ready to roll, but maybe after a round of Christmas Shopping first!

No comments:

Post a Comment