Tuesday 20 November 2012

Breaking Dawn Part 2 Review: 'Unconditionally and Irrevocably in Love' with it!

So mesmerising and beautiful we wished it would go on 'forever' and ever and ever...
And yes, I'm 'Unconditionally and Irrevocably in Love' with Breaking Dawn Part 2!! 

This film is by far my favourite of the series and the ending is incredible! We were screaming one moment, tearing up the next, sighing in the name of eternal love and of course, the best moment, the simultaneous groan of the entire cinema when the film cuts back to Alice's vision with Aro; a nice twist that made me feel so, so..I don't know! One of those- 'I woke up and it was all a dream' combined with 'Oh my gosh I can't believe I didn't see that coming'- moments... Embarrassing. Especially when I practically screamed 'What?! Carlisle doesn't die! That's not in the book!' Definintely not my day.

As someone who wasn't particularly hyped by Robert Pattinson's Sydney promo, I was definitely impressed. The highlight for me was the conclusion; how clever it was, the strong sense of finality and of course the happy ending. I mean, who doesn't like a perfect, fairytale, well vampire, ending?! The brief clips of Bella and Edward since Twilight when Bella opens up her mind were ridiculously adorable and cleverly inserted. It was like sweet nostalgia in a picturesque meadow; what my parents would dub filler material. Although I suspect they'd say that to the rest of the film. An impressive touch though was the interweaving of the last line to conclude. I was so impressed I ran out to borrow the book just to read the last line and the word 'forever.' It's magical almost. And it's so amazing how it's actually there; it's like there's a world in breaking dawn that's real! And no I don't believe in vampires. Yet. It's a touch that just brings the book to life that little bit more and gives it the appreciation it deserves. A touch that, just a thought, could possibly have worked for the last Harry Potter movie. So clever and so, so satisfying. Even when the credits started rolling no one moved an inch, marvelling at the ingenious pairing of excerpts with characters and actors.
 
Walking out of the movie we were in a trance. Mesmerised. So dazed and dazzled that we walked around the same level of Westfield twice and stood still at the escalator in pure silence for fifteen minutes, enchanted by the gorgeous actors and the idea of eternal love. People just sort of stared at us- first with intrigue, and then treaded around us like we had some sort of infection. Well I guess we had. Of sorts. Beware: it's pretty infectious. Maybe they thought we were doing one of those statue flash mobs. Of three people. Or like a stunner deal ad without the hands. Or perhaps we'd had a fallout and were meaningfully contemplating by staring off into different directions because we were at a crossroads in life (well a set of escalators) and we didn't know whether to go up or down...wistful posing like in soaps. Well now you know. We weren't, although there's some non metaphorical truth in the escalator bit. Eventually we regained our senses, went up the escalator and sat with juice and nuggets raving about how amazingly well the film wrapped up the series, how stylish the finishing touch was and how we were totally converted Twihards! Perhaps a little late. But better late than never!   

The fight scene and the number of decapitated heads was considerably gruesome but surrounded by a cinema of screaming teen girls it was actually quite funny, especially the 'Ewwww's' and gasps and squeals of horror and disbelief at Carlisle's dangling head. 'No his beautiful head!!' one girl screamed and clasped the arm beside her. That arm was mine; I still have the nail marks to prove it. And I'm really not one to talk. I was horrified. It was disturbing and I'm not sure how I sleep these days.

It's fun, romantic, action packed and despite some scary vampire makeup and decapitated heads, it's definitely not a film to miss. After all how could you resist watching Taylor Lautner rip his shirt off?!! I'm glad he lives in the world I think I know!  

And then it dawns on us: the Twilight saga has ended..'forever' : (

No comments:

Post a Comment