Thursday 31 January 2013

More scribbles- but today is a gift

So I said on my last scribble post that I bought a waffle maker for a friend's birthday. Yesterday we went to her birthday high tea party, not a wild 18th costume house party where everyone dresses as Alice or the Madhatter, but a calm, civilised, sparkling wine controlled and might I say, a rather ritzy and pricey waterside-view restaurant, high tea. And it turns out that in her 18 years of existence, this was her first birthday party! Her first time with bags of presents, opening them on the spot, keeping a happy straight face even if it's a box of candles (thankfully there were none, but mine always seem to end up in the black out kit). Which makes me wonder- how much has she missed out on?

I personally remember each of my parties quite distinctly, from the huge scale kindy parties at McDonalds where everyone invites the whole class for an afternoon of duck duck goose, to the putt putt golf party phase, to the humble movie flick-pizza house parties, and then to my last birthday party, which was a disastrous 15th singstar house party. I valued each and every birthday until I was 15, and after that they've all been filled with facebook and texted happy birthdays including my 18th right before the HSC (I celebrated that one with a few others, namely a textbook and my new phone). But even then birthdays and celebrating them has always been a big deal to me considering I once organised my own party half a year in advance and showed all my plans including a garage makeover to my parents to convince them to let me hold a party. I also glare at friends who forget the date of my birthday or can't work out the password to my phone (come on whose password isn't their birthday these days??).

Anyway being one of those wonderful people who likes everything, she liked the waffle maker, the mug, the inevitable boxes of body wash, and even the bits of foam packaging the body wash!
And all in all the high tea was nice (although it better have been for how ridiculously much it cost)- there were little duck pies and chicken & avocado sandwiches, prawn finger breads and cakes and macarons and creme brulees. Not quite the traditional high tea, but nevertheless surprisingly filling and yummers : ) And of course any view of Sydney Harbour is spectacular!

So what last year for us would have been an average school day where we all sat around the canteen, outside the toilets sitting and chatting, it's nice to know that we're now at high tea in the city sitting and chatting whilst thousands of kids sit around canteens and toil through totally fun, interactive science classes at school- ahaha one day peeps, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment