Sunday 17 February 2013

Yesterday was Sunday

As you can probably guess from the title, today is Monday and this morning I woke up at 7.45am after missing two alarms, and scrambled out of bed, skipping breakfast, hoping to get to the bus stop in time and yet I still missed the 8:10am crowd. I felt better than the school girl though, who was practically falling off the kerb frantically waving as the bus drove right past. I might have done that a few times in my school career, but I was always pretty calm, if not exctied, about missing the bus and spending class time strolling to school.

So yesterday was Sunday and I finally managed to buy some work clothes that fit! (and weren't too expensive.) So now I have a pair of black work pants and a black skirt, so on sweltering 30 degree days I no longer have to stand outdoors in my black winter jeans, absorbing heat and sweat and my endless moans. Luckily I bought a pair of peach flats about 3 weeks ago, because my favourite black ones are officially falling to pieces, and I'm not allowed to buy shoes until the end of this week because of some Chinese New Year superstition. I also got back in time to watch 'Elementary' which I've been following since it started airing on tv  (my mum is an avid Sherlock Holmes fan) and like most crime shows it's pretty fascinating, slightly predicatable, and plays on my mind enough to keep me awake for an extra half hour at night and make me slightly paranoid in the morning. I've never been a crime fan but I have definitely grown a lot since the days when I had nightmares after watching Mission Impossible.

I also went to a huge CNY dinner on Saturday in the city, but that was pretty average; basically everyone was frocked or suited up around big tables with nice large plates of food that was served after the lion dancing and the inevitable rambly speeches and photos of politicians who all admirably but awkwardly ended with a couple of lines of mandarin and an energetic and completely off  'gung hei fat choi.' There were more speeches than usual, not surprisingly, I mean it is election year and some even unsubtly alluded to the election and its date. There was also this new rule where raffle winners have to stay in there seat and wait for people to bring their prize to them, which was pretty underwhelming compared to every other year when the winners run to the stage shouting 'I won, I won'. ( I did that last year, perhaps that's why they changed the rules). Sadly we didn't win anything even with fifty odd tickets in the raffle draw, which was a slight let down.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment